Fort Wellington Days

Our History

The Presbytery of Seaway-Glengarry covers a large geographical area of Eastern Ontario within the several counties of Leeds-Grenville, Stormont-Dundas-Glengarry and Prescott-Russell. Our neighbouring presbyteries are the Presbytery of Kingston to the west, the Presbytery of Montreal to the east at the Quebec border, the Presbytery of Ottawa to the north, and the Presbytery of Lanark & Renfrew to the north west.

Our history goes back to before the creation of the Presbyterian Church in Canada (1875) and even before Confederation (1867):

The Presbytery of Seaway-Glengarry (1994-present)

The Presbytery of Brockville and the Presbytery of Glengarry amalgamated as of June 21, 1994 with its inaugural meeting held that day within Knox Presbyterian Church, Moose Creek.

The reasons noted for the amalgamation are found in the overture that was presented to the Synod of Québec and Eastern Ontario in 1993 and transmitted to the General Assembly in 1994:

WHEREAS, the Presbytery of Glengarry and the Presbytery of Brockville are both within the limits of the Synod of Quebec and Eastern Ontario, and

WHEREAS, the Presbytery of Glengarry is desirous of amalgamation with the Presbytery of Brockville, and

WHEREAS, the Presbytery of Brockville is desirous of amalgamation with the Presbytery of Glengarry, and

WHEREAS, the Presbytery of Brockville and the Presbytery of Glengarry have had ongoing discussions on the proposed amalgamation since 1986, and

WHEREAS, the system of church government of The Presbyterian Church in Canada depends on the strength of the presbytery, and

WHEREAS, both of the Presbyteries named have been weakened by a decline in the number of pastoral charges able to support full-time ministry, and

WHEREAS, there is strength to be gained by increasing numbers, and

WHEREAS, the travel distances involved are not so great as to prevent the proposed amalgamated Presbytery from functioning efficiently,

The prayer of the overture was granted. As well, the General Assembly adopted the recommendation that the new name of the amalgamated presbytery be the Presbytery of Seaway-Glengarry.

At the time of amalgamation there were 20 pastoral charges with 31 congregations. Since then some congregations have come together to form new multiple point pastoral charges, other congregations have amalgamated, and three congregations were dissolved. In 2020 the presbytery consists of 13 pastoral charges with 24 congregations.

Back to Top   |   Next




© 2018-2025 Presbytery of Seaway-Glengarry