Fort Wellington Days

Our History: To the Presbyterian Church in Canada (~1830-1875)

In 1830, the United Presbytery of Upper Canada appealed for help from the "Christian public of Great Britain and Ireland". Included in their appeal was the following:

We are the only Presbytery in the Province, and have at present fifteen ministers belonging to our body, each of whom preaches to from two to six or eight different congregations, not only on the Sabbath but through the week...

Our labours of love are extended from the Ottawa on the eastern, to Lakes St. Clair and Huron on the western, etremity of the Province, over a distance of upwards of five hundred miles.

We have originally belonged to different denominations of Presbyterians in the Mother Country ...
(Gregg, 375)

Given the harsh realities of life in Upper Canada and the logistics of ministry, many of these "different denominations of Presbyterians" proved to be untenable and disappeared.

From the 1830s to 1875, we see a number of unions and amalgamations that culminated with the formulation of the Presbyterian Church in Canada in 1875.

Churches built during this period include:

  • St. Andrew's in Spencerville (1835);
  • St. Andrew's and St. James' in Cardinal (1835);
  • Kenyon in Dunvegan (1838);
  • Knox in Moose Creek (1838);
  • St. Luke's in Finch (1840);
  • St. Paul's in Kemptville (1849);
  • St. Paul's in Winchester (1857);
  • St. James in Gravel Hill (1862);
  • Morewood in Morewood (1870);
  • Knox in Iroquois (1874);
  • St. John's in Farran's Point (1870);
  • St. Andrew's in Avonmore (1875); and
  • Knox in Morrisburg (1875).

Back to Top   |   Next




© 2018-2025 Presbytery of Seaway-Glengarry